Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Oban Chocolate Company

I battled against the driving wind and rain, along Corran Esplanade, and entered beneath the inviting purple facade, looking a bit more windswept than interesting.  Walking into its cosy surroundings, on hard wood floors, the smell of chocolate immediately hit me and, despite resembling some wild eyed, messy haired, scary woman, I could feel myself starting to relax.   Also, after an epic 2.5 hour drive to get to Oban, I was in dire need of coffee.

The menu at OCC is extensive and, obviously, contains A LOT of chocolate.   This includes a wide array of hot chocolate drinks, which came in a variety of guises and were just a little too high in calories for me to justify before lunchtime.   Everything in moderation, and all that.   I opted for a chocolate tasting plate, which comprised 6 individual chocolates, as well as a small tub of chocolate buttons, all presented on a piece of slate.   LT, on the other hand, who is not concerned about calories on account of his hollow legs, went all out and ordered banana chocolate waffles with whipped cream and a large hot choc.   Obviously, I had to try this (for research purposes only).  The little bit I tried then became a slightly bigger bit.  What can I tell you? I have no willpower.   

We sat at a little table, looking out through the massive picture windows and over the water.  The weather was so stormy that we learned the ferries from Oban to Jura, Islay and Mull had all been cancelled.  I'm assuming this meant that people were stuck on these islands and were unable to make it back to the mainland for chocolate.   My heart went out to them all.  

Anyway, after filling out boots, mouths and stomachs (and having to ask the waitress to give us a bag that we could load the stuff we couldn't finish), we checked out the chocolate making process, which can be done by gazing longingly through the window into the kitchen/chocolate wizardry area.  If this isn't quite enough for you, there's also a shop on site where you can purchase all your favourite chocolate to load up your car with for the journey home.  I was already feeling slightly heavier than when I first arrived, so I didn't make any additional purchases before waddling back to the car. 

Oban Chocolate Company coffe and tasting platter

Oban Chocolate Company - taster platter




No comments:

Post a Comment