Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Something Old, Something New: The December Challenge

No, I'm not getting married.  Again.  I've merely stolen part of that silly poem that people who *are* getting hitched tend to use to and shamelessly used it to fit my own agenda.    Recently, I've had a few conversation with people that have made me realise how set in my ways I am and I decided to do something about it.

The main reason for this is time...or lack of.   I go to work, write, eat and sleep, and that's pretty much how it goes at the moment.    I was off for a week recently and it's the first time in about 6 months that I watched something on TV that I was actually paying attention to.   I do watch the occasional episode of X Factor on a Saturday night, but I have one eye on it and the other on my phone/ipad/wine glass.    


hmmm...
It's not just TV that has taken a back seat; it's pretty much everything.   I barely read, I don't keep up with new music, I haven't had time to discover new blogs and I buy the same stuff from the supermarket every week.  In addition, I buy the same makeup, keep the same style and I never do anything different with my hair.     Basically, I've stopped discovering anything and it's been bothering me for a while.


In saying this, I have moved nations, taken on a new job, started my blog and am in the process of buying a new house, so it's not like I've been sitting around, staring into space.   I have had a fair bit to keep me busy, but I'm still very conscious of all the other things that have fallen by the wayside, as well as the fact the things I actually *do* get involved in are pretty much always the same.  I am entirely predictable.   I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing but it annoys me nonetheless.   I recently lost a school friend at the age of 38 and I'm still reeling from thinking about all the things he'll never get to do.   This, combined with my ow random thoughts, has been at the forefront of my mind.  

I have, therefore, decided to challenge myself each month by trying a few new things and maybe picking up a few skills along the way.    And not content with just challenging me, I've decided to rope LT in to all the fun.  I haven't told him about it yet, so if he reads this, it might come as a *bit* of a surprise.   He's always up for taking on something new, so I'm sure he'll be ok with it.


Yeah, I totally won't be doing anything THIS challenging.
Books:
I always opt for crime or travel novels because I love them.  When I log on to Amazon , I wouldn't dream of even looking at other genres.    I wouldn't even know where to start.  My Mum and sisters read all different kinds of books and I find the concept all a little overwhelming.    I'm not saying I'm going to run to the closest WH Smith and grab a copy of Jane Eyre, because I want to expand my horizons, not bore myself senseless.   What I AM going to do is choose one book each month that has no horrendous murders in it and attempt to read it.   Even if it's just a chapter a day; it doesn't really matter.  The important thing is that I actually do it.  




Music:
This is a difficult one for me because I listen to the same artists constantly.    They're all country stars and if I deviate from this genre, it's usually in favour of Counting Crows or Green Day.   Even when I do listen to something else, it's usually just a song or two before I revert straight back to my normal choices.   In this respect, I'm going to look at the TOTP charts instead of just the Billboard country chart in the hope I find something that I don't detest.    This will not mean I'll be listening to One Direction or Justin Beiber because, well... I'm 37.   

I just can't resist a track about rednecks, tequila and dirt roads.
TV:
I live in rural North Wales and, well, my internet is really slow.  Way too slow for Netflix or any kind of catch up service.  This pretty much dictates that, if I want to watch something, i really have to watch it like I did in the 90's:  i.e. when it's actually on.     I won't be watching The Apprentice because life's too short to watch the staggering arrogance on display, but I reckon I could expand from the BBC Wales news and repeats of Ice Road Truckers to something a bit more...meaningful.   I must consult my Radio Times immediately.  Watch this space.   

Blogs:
I always feel terrible that I don't read as many blogs as I'd like to.   I read a few, including Forever Amber (always), Dominique Travels,  Ms.Adventures in London and Confessions of a Sober Essex Girl    My aim each month is to find myself a new blog that I genuinely love reading.  There are probably tons of them, I just need to find the time to look.  

Hair:
I have long blonde hair, which I straighten to within an inch of its life once every month or so.   The rest of the time it's scraped back, wet from the shower, and that's how it stays day in, day out.   One of the reasons for this is that I don't much like getting out of bed.  The other is that I'm only going to work and I don't feel the need to make that much of an effort.   As far as I'm concerned, If I manage to leave the house, fully dressed, by 8:10am, I'm already having a good day.  

I love watching tutorials and looking at styles on Pinterest, but the time and effort they all seem to take makes me tired.   I'm fairly sure I could find something a little less complicated that's still within my capabilities.   Whether I can find a new style every month is another challenge all together.  One would surely be enough, no?  


this is such a good look, no?
Food:
I don't need much encouragement to eat.  Like, none.   At all.   I would like to find a little time to make something a little different.    Currently, our household meals revolve around the same 6 or 7 dishes that I frequently rotate, depending on their levels of difficulty and how knackered I am on any particular day.    I'm not a bad cook, but I need to change my shopping list and come up with something new and tasty that's quick and simple to prepare during the week.   

I'll post a monthly update and this should keep me on track.    If you'd like to join me by doing something new every month, regardless of how small: get in touch and let me know what you've been up to.  Also, absolutely come and shout at me to keep me motivated.  

Suzanne x 




No comments:

Post a Comment