Sunday, December 20, 2015

The December Challenge Update: My Picks

I recently decided, after a period of feeling stale and set in my ways, that I’d set myself some monthly goals to shake things up.    I didn’t want to take on too much, because I’d only end up feeling overwhelmed by everything I said I’d do and end up having to take a nap from the stress.   THEN, I’d end up beating myself up for all the things I didn’t do and that don’t really benefit anyone, does it? 

I chose a few things, such as new books and new music, which I thought I could switch up to expand my horizons and all that crap.   These are the chosen subjects and December’s list of Things That Absolutely Must Be Done:

Book:
I decided I’d skirt away from the books I usually choose, which are either travel or crime related.   The last time I read anything that wasn’t in these genres was during my high school years  (a long, long time ago), when I had to choose a book for my English dissertation and my Mum suggested The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark.   I read it, tried desperately to try understanding what the hell was going on and, somehow, managed to pass my exam.  I expect my Mum helped.    Having a teacher for a Mother is a very handy thing, let me tell you.   


Anyway, I was in the local charity shop browsing the other day, as I tend to do around lunch time,  and came across a copy of Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee.   I thought this would be the perfect choice to kick of my whole Reading Books Without Murders In Them challenge.    I have actually read To Kill A Mockingbird and thought that, if the sequel was anywhere near as good, I'd be off to a flyer.    Plus, you know, the synopsis said nothing about murders, so it definitely qualifies.   




Music:
I'm all about country music.  I love it.   I can always, always be found listening to country albums, which mainly consist of Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves and anything that includes lyrics about being dumped by your husband and sitting on your front porch drinking away your sorrows.   Who doesn't want to start their day with that kind of uplifting tune?  

Since I'm all about changes in December, I forced LT to download me Chaos and the Calm by James Bay.    I though he sounded a bit like John Mayer and I do love a raspy voice, so this is my album for this month.    

TV: As I previously said, my internet's a bit, well, rubbish, so I have to watch things when they're on.   Can you imagine that?   You probably can't...all sat there with your fibre optic broadband and your Netflix subscription.  I used to have Netflix.  Ah, the memories.   Anyway, I found a new programme this month and it's called 'Missing Person Unit' on TruTV and, yes, it's every bit as magical as it sounds.    

Blogs:
Actually haven't even started looking yet.   I've been far too busy trying to choose a book and a new artist.    Shame on me.   I'm totally open to suggestions, though!


hair
Seriously...who has time for this nonsense?  
Hair: Yeah, well, I've gone for about 15 years with the same EXACT hair, so this one might take me a bit longer to crack.  I haven't even washed it for days, so lets not rush into something I might not be able to handle.   I did read some advice for girls with naturally curly hair on Pinterest recently which suggested I stop washing with shampoo and start washing with apple cider vinegar and baking soda.   Since I haven't quite gotten round to buying these things yet, this is absolutely the reason for the whole non washing thing*

Food:
Hmmm....this is harder than I thought.   I'm totally eating the same old stuff I was eating last month.  Who fancies chicken with baking soda and an apple cider vinegar glaze?  Yeah, me either.    Must try harder.  

So, now that I'm more than halfway through December, I'm a third of the way through the things I said I'd do.     Could be worse...could be much, much better.   Baby steps, people.  Baby steps.  

Have you managed to make any changes in December, or were you a well rounded person to begin with?   


*I'm very lazy.   



Suzanne x

No comments:

Post a Comment